The Best Golfer’s / Tennis Elbow Rehab Protocol
Dr. Nirschl’s golfer’s / tennis elbow rehab protocol is so far the best active exercises program I found in recent years. It’s simple and effective, I strongly recommend this program to everyone suffering tennis or golfer’s elbow. ?
(Dr. Nirschl is a well-known orthopedic surgeons founded Nirschl Orthopaedic Center, his approach of the treatment and rehabilitation for elbow, shoulder, and knee injuries are internationally recognized, and have been implemented by healthcare providers worldwide.)
For the complete protocol, please refer to here. Below is the summary and pictures of the tennis elbow rehab program.
Always respect your pain!
You should only do these exercises when there’s NO PAIN at all !
⭐ Stage # 1 Exercises
Elbow bent in 90° (If this is painful lean forward and bend your elbow even more). Your forearm should be well supported on your thigh or a table.
1. Begin with NO weight, 10 repetitions / 1 set / day.
2. Slowly progress to 10 repetitions / 2 sets / day, then 10 repetitions / 3 sets / day. (Only proceed to next step if you can do 3 sets for 2 consecutive days without increasing your symptoms.)
3. Increase to a one-pound weight (a small can of soup works well). Go back to 10 repetitions / 1 set / day.
4. Slowly work up to 3 sets of 10 repetitions again.
5. Increase to a two-pound weight and again cut back to 10 repetitions / 1 set / day.
6. Slowly progress to 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
7. Continue this gradual progression until you are using a 3-pound weight for 3 sets of 10 repetitions without increasing your symptoms.
8. Progress to Stage # 2 Exercises
⭐ Stage # 2 Exercises
Once you are able to do the exercises in stage 1 using a 3-pound weight and doing a total of 30 repetitions (3 sets of 10), you should stop stage #1 and begin stage # 2.
(You should continue to do rubber band and squeezing exercises.)
1. Straightening your elbow with your arm still supported on your thigh.
2. Drop the weight back to 1 pound and 10 repetitions / 1 set / day.
3. Continue to progress the weights until you are up to 3 pounds and 10 repetitions / 3 sets / day.
*Remember, you should still continue the manual therapy, stretching and strengthening exercises for your tennis elbow rehab !
**To reduce the risk of injury consult your healthcare professional before beginning any exercise program. This is general information and is not intended to diagnose or replace your current health care professional. The Nirschl Orthopaedic Center is not liable for any injury or pain you may experience as a result of this exercise program. As with any exercise program, if you begin to feel faint, dizzy, or have physical discomfort you should stop immediately and consult your health care professional.
- Rehab Exercises after Distal Biceps Tendon Rupture - January 27, 2023
- Six Best Tips for Swelling (Edema) Management - June 13, 2021
- The Mysterious Dupuytren’s Contracture - October 3, 2020
5 thoughts on “The Best Golfer’s / Tennis Elbow Rehab Protocol”
Heya just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.
Thanks a lot for your feedback! I’ll look into it!
Interesting information, thanks for taking the time to put it together, I learned something new here.
Thanks for finally talking about >The Best Golfer’s / Tennis
Elbow Rehab Protocol – REHAB FOR A BETTER LIFE <Liked it!
You are welcome!
Comments are closed.